The Institute for English Law was set up in 2018 with the aim of providing tuition and tutorials when such programs were non-existing in Finland. Access to higher education should be widened and made available in ways that fully implement equal opportunities and ensure that students concerned are involved in an educational experience that give rise to social and personal fulfillment. The aim is to increase access to higher education by creating increased opportunities for students trough the development and delivery of tuition and tutorials of academic programs.
Studying common law opens a myriad of possibilities for law practice and law-related careers world-wide - the common law system comprises 40% of global economic activity. A large proportional of all international transactions are governed under common law. English is the language of international business. With a three year common law LL.B you will be able to pursue a truly international career as a lawyer in companies and international organizations world-wide. Or you may continue your studies in Master´s programs or through a bar review course, sit for Bar Exams e.g. in New York or certain other States in the USA.
Why study in Helsinki?
There are more than a few reasons why you should study with us, but here are some of the most important points what we are offering;
- a bachelor of law degree title (LL.B)(NB. not a bachelor of arts degree as offered in some organisations).
- a 3 year programme based solely on legal modules and a guarantee to continue legal studies at master level.
- academic quality assured by a Consortium of outstanding University of London Law Schools (Birkbeck, King´s, LSE, Queen Mary, SOAS and UCL)
- a degree that qualifies you to continue with master of laws studies (LL.M)
- competitive fee structure (identical programme fee at Kings College London is 30.000 € per year)
- save in travel costs and living costs in the UK
- lectures are held during the weekends which allow you to work at the same time
- eligible to student support and -loan
- flexible payment structure 1-4 instalments per academic year
- no need to apply through UCAS (The Universities and Colleges Admissions Service)
- programme is comparable to any UK LL.B programme
- our programme is not part of the joint application system (yhteishaku) and thus allows you to seek and study in other institutions simultaneously.
We offer tuition and tutorials in LL.B. modules generally required for law studies in England.
- Contract law
- Criminal law
- Legal system and method
- Public law
- Tort law
- Commercial law
- EU law
- Family law
- Jurisprudence and legal theory
- Alternative dispute resolution
- Conflict of laws (private international law)
- Public international law
In order to ensure quality and effectiveness our tuition is based primarily on contact teaching (taking into consideration the pandemic situation). Lectures are held in the center of Helsinki with good connections from all around the Helsinki metropolitan area. The programme is full-time and requires high motivation and independent studies from the students. Fall semester starts in September and spring semester ends in May the next year. Tuition is planned for the weekend (Friday and Saturday) and allows students to work at the same time.
Student election is based on interview. The registration process is as follows:
- Contact us by sending us an email from the contact box.
- We will be in touch with you and arrange a personal interview with Skype/Teams/Zoom
For more information contact us by email info (at) englishlaw.institute.